Tuesday, July 12, 2011

One Funeral, One Wedding, One Job

My grandpa's funeral service was this past weekend. On Friday we drove out to the National Cemetery in Dixon where we had a small and intimate ceremony for Papa. The whole family was there:

Grammie, Uncle Greg, Aunt Ruth, Sterling, Greer & Ela
Uncle Ron, Alec & Shelby
Dad, Mom, Nick & I
and Papa's youngest brother Kay Don, whom I met for the first time.

Everyone was there, but Papa. There was an emptiness felt when I watched everyone sit down for the ceremony inside a small chapel on site. We were joined by a couple of pastors and Mr. Vance, who led out in the message.

Since Papa served in the army for two years, he was honored in a military fashion. There was the playing of "Taps" and unfolding, refolding and presentation of the American flag to Grammie. Overall a very nice service. We took a family picture afterwards. A large portrait of Papa was in the background.

During the service I found myself thinking, "Am I really sitting at my Papa's funeral?" It was a day that I knew would come, but I still wasn't ready. A funeral is the most formal goodbye you can say, and it can't be taken back. At least when I say goodbye to my best friend, Kait, who lives states away from me, I know it is not a forever goodbye. Funerals are so final and so forever, but I am so happy to be a Christian and to know that their is life after death. I will see Papa again. So, in a way, a funeral is the formal goodbye to someone on earth - but the realization that you will see them again.

~--------------------------------------------------~

The next day we held a memorial service for him at Carmichael Seventh-day Adventist Church. Weeks of hard work by my Grammie, uncles and mom went into the program. Sterling, Greer and Ela played Nimrod on their string instruments. It truly is one of the most beautiful pieces ever composed. Alec and Shelby played guitar and sang a song by Regina Spektor I had never heard before. Here are some of the lyrics...

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word

And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry

I'll come back
When you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because every thing's changing
Doesn't mean it's never
Been this way before

All you can do is try to know
Who your friends are
As you head off to the war

Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

Shelby is such a talented singer. I was so blessed by all my cousins that performed.

After that came a life sketch written by my mom and read by her and her brothers. A couple of Papa's associates stood on stage and talked about what a wonderful, kind, "Gentle Giant" Papa was. What followed was an amazing slide show, but I can't even call it a slide show. It was his life in pictures with his favorite song being sung in the background. It brought me to tears when I saw him holding me as a baby and our trip to Canada. My uncle Greg did a fantastic job on this movie that he entitled "Seasons." You can watch it here:


I was lucky enough to take part in the program directly after the movie. I composed myself and got up on stage with my brother. We read excerpts from Psalms 57 and 84. The pastor concluded with an uplifting homily. Overall, a truly beautiful service that Papa would have loved.

A reception followed the service. We spent hours talking with people who knew him. I was touched and proud of my Papa when I heard stories of how he encouraged them, mentored them and inspired them.

~--------------------------------------------------~

The next day was much different for me. A funeral and a wedding are quite opposite events when you look from the surface. One is a somber event filled with tears, hugging and condolences. The latter is uplifting and heartwarming. However, both occasions are held to celebrate life. One is the celebration of a life that has ended and the other is the celebration of a life beginning.

My friend Lisa got married on a beautiful piece of property in the Napa Valley. I could tell a lot of energy and time went into making everything perfect that day. The wedding was so gorgeous and the bride didn't look too bad herself!


Lisa and Tyler tying the knot.


The gorgeous bridesmaid and friend, Chelsea.


Lisa and I.


Almost our entire high school graduating class was there.
Chelsea, me, Tauva, Lisa, Jack, Sho and Nathan.

~--------------------------------------------------~

Preparing for Grad School requires one large element: money. I knew I had this long summer break to earn some dough before I head down south and spend all my money on books, rent and food, but I didn't have a job. Picking up 10 hours a week in the gym was not going to cut it.

After praying, looking and asking around for employment for a month the perfect job was placed in my hands. I was asked to come in and intern at St. Helena Hospital. I get to work on a substantial project for the CFO that will later be sent to the corporate office for review. This job requires a lot of hours (which I was willing to dedicate) and a lot of hard work (which I am willing to offer). I feel the pressure weighing down on my shoulders, but I welcome it. If I succeed at this, I could end up impressing my future bosses. Not only am I adding to my resume by doing a job that I love, but I am networking and making the money I'll need in order to start my life down south.

I thought I had run out of time, but God's timing is always perfect. I can always depend on Him.
Not only is His timing perfect, but his plan is so much better than mine. I couldn't have dreamed up a better summer job.

~--------------------------------------------------~

On another note, I'm flying down to San Diego in 3 days!
I literally cannot wait to see my bud.
'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment